Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Celtic chariots

I managed to find some time recently, to clear another unit for my rapidly growing Celts off of the painting table. This time, it's the dreaded light chariots! Once again, these are the beautiful Baccus sculpts, perhaps the finest Celtic models out there. 



Regular readers may know that I had initially intended for all of these Celts to be an allied division for a planned Carthaginian project. Unfortunately, in-game, chariots can only be used as part of a dedicated Celtic or British army list. However, this isn't a problem for me (if nothing else, at this rate, the Celts will soon be numerous enough to be an army of their own...) For the myriad armies where Celts appear as allies, I will instead use the chariots as 'counts as' light cavalry.  




As there are only four models to a unit, I thought I'd dedicate a little more time on each individual chariott. I'm really enjoying the bright vibrancy of these Celts, but this time I was also able to play with different horse colours and markings. I think my favourite is the brown and white pinto, as I really didn't think that it would translate well to a 6mm model, but the chestnut horses are also quite nice. Note also that each chariot has its own 'markings' on the frame - probably not accurate by any means, but I'm enjoying any opportunity to splash more bright colours on these models!



That leaves me with almost a full division - just some light units with javelins to go, as a screen for the heavier infantry units, and we're there! At this point I could stop, but something tells me I won't...

Anyway, until next time!

2 comments:

  1. I've just looked found your blog and very glad I did. Some lovely painting and basing. Love the Celts in particular. Superb work and lots of thought put into the basing. Well done !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm really glad you're enjoying it. Hopefully there'll be lots more content to come!

      Delete

A quick Celtic update

I've had unfortunately little time to paint anything recently, and subsequently have also been a bit quiet on the blog-front. However, I...