Thursday, March 4, 2021

Some Celtic reinforcements

The newest additions to the Celtic division / army are two units of warriors. The Baccus sculpts are absolutely beautiful figures (this goes without saying) and always a joy to paint, and I'm really enjoying the riot of colour that is a Celtic army in comparison to the Sumerians I've been painting. Again, as with the horsemen a few weeks ago, I've stuck to a colour trio of red, blue and green to try and tie the troops together a little bit:


I love that archetypal image of a mass of Celtic warriors charging towards the Roman lines. In order to recreate that, the units are a mixture of ranked warriors on the rear half of each base (in three rows to give a real sense of depth and numbers), and then a scattered number of the individual charging figures in front of these, to represent the front files breaking free and beginning to charge head-long towards the enemy. I think it works quite well!


This image is just to give a close-up of the shields. I think the slightly schematic dot-and-line approach I've gone for gives a quite good approximation of Celtic shield designs, whilst actually being paintable at 6mm scale!

As always, I hope you enjoy - until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A quick Celtic update

I've had unfortunately little time to paint anything recently, and subsequently have also been a bit quiet on the blog-front. However, I...